Monday, September 04, 2006

National Global National Issues

What's my position on national and global issues? If a national or global issue comes before me and I believe in it, I'll vote for it. National and global issues are important and affect us all, we can't ignore them. What I don't want to do is spend a lot of Arcata City Council time on these issues if that time takes away from homelessness on the Plaza, fixing our roads, affordable housing, transportation, the environment, child care, art and technology and all of the other issues affecting the daily lives of Arcatans. There are other groups out there who are dealing with the national issues. I think we Arcatans can do more by supporting these other groups.

My favorite is "Truemajority.org" This is Ben Cohen's group, Ben of Ben and Jerry's. Go to the site. You'll see by joining that group, which is 300,000 plus strong, you have a voice in all of the progressive national and global issues we spend too much time on at Arcata City Council meetings. The premise of the group is to redistribute a portion of the defense budget to health, education and welfare, and the environment. We do that and many of our local problems will be solved because we'll have the money and resources to solve them.

I encourage Arcatans to join "truemajority.org". During this campaign and after I'll encourage all progressive Arcatans to join truemajority.org and then I'll get back to Arcata's local issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home