Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sidewalks, Cut Curbs and Disability Compliant Streets

One basic responsibility of a city council member is fixing the roads. Roads include sidewalks. I've never seen such a sorry state of sidewalks in my entire life. I never expected Arcata to have sidewalks, when there are any, in such a pathetic condition.I am a big believer in a neighborhood that chooses not to have sidewalks if it comports with the character of the neighborhood. But when a neighborhood wants sidewalks or has sidewalks, such as my neighborhood in Sunny Brae, then a neighborhood should have sidewalks. Not some sorry sidewalks left in disrepair for years and years. The sidewalks in Sunny Brae start then stop and you are left going into the street. Imagine walking with a baby carriage, how about a wheelchair. They are cracked and bulging and pocked, with very few cuts in the curbs.

The sidewalks are not ADA compliant by any means. A city like Arcata that conscientiously cares about the elderly and disabled, not to mention the Americans With Disabilities Act requirements, should be ashamed of itself. One of the first things I'll do is get this city ADA compliant. I'll get us new sidewalks everywhere there should be sidewalks. Sidewalks that are compliant with the ADA, with cut curbs for wheelchairs and strollers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home